Thursday, August 29, 2013

My husband thinks we need to have a reality show based on our lives.  This is the closest I want to come to bearing the soul of our family.  So here I am entering the blogosphere.  For the past few years, I have recounted our family's journey on a Caringbridge site for our twin daughters.  A good friend of  mine has told me for years that I should "write a book" about our many adventures in life dealing with two little girls with a really big medical condition that has forever changed our lives.  That "book" begins today.  Seizsters:  Two Girls....One Journey.

Many of you know our "story" but; for those of you who may not, here is a little background.  My husband, Matt, and I have been married for almost 17 years.  We were blessed with four beautiful children.  Delaney is 16, Mason is soon to be 14 and Lauren and Lindsey, our identical twins, will soon be 12 years old.  Add to that our dog, Scooby, and our family is complete.  Back in 2002, when the twins were just six months old, our lives were forever changed when they started having uncontrollable seizures.  They were healthy babies up until the age of six months when the first seizures struck.  After many seizures and many hospitalizations, at the age of one year, the girls were diagnosed with a little-known disease called Mitochondrial Disease.  You may be saying, "mito what?"  Believe me...so did we.  As soon as I heard the words, "progressive and incurable" spoken by our doctor my brain stopped listening and my body went numb.  And that is when our journey with Mitochondrial Disease officially began.       

Fast forward 11 years and here we are today.  The girls are still having uncontrollable seizures.  They are developmentally delayed because of them and their underlying disease. They face a giant, uphill battle every day of their lives.  What you will also see today are two resilient, almost always happy, sometimes moody, loving little girls who will say "I am so lucky" because in their lives....there are no small things.  They don't see themselves as two little girls with a really bad medical condition.  They see themselves as two little girls who are so lucky they get to go to school, watch their favorite shows on TV, get to snuggle with their mom and dad and talk to their grandma and grandpa on the telephone.  What I see are two little girls who have touched the lives of nearly everyone who has been blessed to meet them.  I am blessed beyond measure to be their mother and look forward to sharing the laughter, tears, heartaches and heartwarming stories of these two little girls who have a whole lot to say.
 

4 comments:

  1. Very good intro to that book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. We are blessed to have you all in our lives! The Rooneys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Just so you know.. I am a blog stalker, so I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete