Above you will see our two pens that Governor Branstad used to sign the Cannabidiol Bill into law last Friday. It was a blessing to watch the Governor place these pens into the hands of the children who can possibly be helped by this new law. It was a blessed day to be surrounded by so many families of children with intractable epilepsy and the legislators that made this new law possible. In a sense, we have all become one very large family and I am glad to have met many new friends during this journey. There are many moms who I have great respect for and think of as my own seizsters. They hold a special place in my heart and it is my sincere hope that one day we will all be standing together again with children who no longer suffer from intractable epilepsy.
Unfortunately, this limited de-crim bill will not make that dream a reality for us right now. Many of us will not be able to have access to cannabidiol under this new law. Although this was a great first step for Iowa, it is just a baby step that needs to be expanded upon. With the restrictions placed on this bill, many families will not even have the opportunity to pursue this medical treatment because they do not have an Iowa Neurologist or if they do have one, they are not willing to refer them for treatment. Many of us with complicated children must seek treatment out of state from Neurologists who are experts in the field. Unfortunately, under this new law, out of state Neurologists cannot refer Iowa patients. If a family is blessed enough to have an Iowa physician to refer them, their next hurdle is finding a state with a medical cannabis program that allows out of state medical card holders to purchase cannabidiol. The numbers are few and none are bordering Iowa. Or, they must travel to Colorado or Washington to purchase it recreationally, which restricts the amount they can purchase daily. That brings along another hurdle, traveling with cannabidiol in states that it is not legal to do so and facing criminal charges. The demand is greater than the supply and many families will need to be placed on waiting lists to get access. The cost is expensive and dispensaries only accept cash. Factor in this the time it will take to travel to these states and back home again. As you can see, the process is going to be a tough one but, some families have run out of options and are willing and able to go through this process to try and help their children. Although we are desperate to help our girls, we are not able to seek this treatment right now. I am anxious to hear how families will be able to access this medicine and I hope to hear great stories of how it works for them. What we will do though, is stand together again with all of the above mentioned parents and legislators and fight for a medical cannabis program in Iowa that will allow access IN our state. This can be done through a strictly run program that will allow treatment for not only persons with intractable epilepsy but, all of those suffering with life-altering and life-threatening diseases. Just like 22 other states have already done. It is going to be a huge uphill battle but, we have proven when you work hard and never give up, minds can be changed and progress can be made. Our kids are worth fighting for and so are many other Iowans who are facing huge medical challenges. If you have a loved one who could benefit from medical cannabis, I ask you to join us in our fight. If you don't, I ask you to join us for our girls. They all deserve a chance at a better quality of life. I know some of you are totally against medical cannabis and that is fine. I just ask you to ask yourself; if someone you know and love could benefit from this medicine, would you still feel the same? Would you want that option available to help them have a better quality of life? I do. I have a feeling that things are really going to be changing not only on the state level but, on the federal level in the next year or two so I am hopeful this treatment option will be available for everyone who needs it in the United States.
I now move on...
At the end of the day today, we will officially have a Senior in High School, a Freshman in High School and two 7th graders. How did that happen? I'm going to tell you right now, I am an emotional mess even thinking about it. Just yesterday I was dropping Delaney off at St. Edward's Preschool in Waterloo with a two year old and two newborns. Now in less than a year, I will be watching her graduate from high school with three teenagers soon to follow. I thank God for these four blessings but, I wish they could have stayed little just a wee bit longer. If you are reading this right now and you have small children, savor every moment. Even the times you are about to pull your hair out and feel like the worst mother in the world, enjoy it all as soon your babies will be teenagers. I remember I used to think life was so challenging back then and I know it was. Each stage in your children's lives brings new challenges. Because we are in the midst of it right now, I think the teenage years are by far the hardest. Those hormones....I don't like those hormones. They make sweet children turn into monsters. I liked it back when I could do no wrong and my children adored me. Now, it seems I can't do anything right and although I know they love me, I sometimes don't feel adored. I know this time in life shall pass so I will savor every moment..the good, bad and the ugly.
The girls are doing pretty good right now. The big seizures are coming about 2-3 times per week on average which is pretty good for us. The little seizures are still too frequent to count and happen daily. We are waiting on insurance approval for a new seizure drug. It is not FDA approved and has to be shipped from France. It has been proven to help patients with Dravet Syndrome so we are hopeful it will help our girls. The hormones are out of control right now and it is a joke between Matt and I that the "beast" switches between the girls. It seems to switch daily most often. One will have a great day and the other will be out of control irritable and moody. Then , the next day they will switch. It stinks as we rarely get a break from the "beast" but, sometimes we get lucky and they are both happy and sweet at the same time. The large amount of medications they are on does not help either and I am sure if I felt as crappy as they do, I would be pretty crabby too. Not to mention the constant seizure activity going on in their brains.
We put the pool up this year after taking the year off last year. The nightmare was too raw last year from when we were in Pittsburgh and they both had a seizure in the swimming pool within seconds of each other. That still remains our worst seizure memory and the girls have not swam since that time. Swimming is by far their favorite thing to do so we decided to give them the opportunity to do so this summer. We got in for the first time on Saturday and no seizures! Unfortunately, Lindsey did have one in the pool yesterday. Many precautions are taken each time they get in the pool. Never do they get in without a life jacket, the oxygen is right next to the pool and at least two people have to be in the pool with them. Needless to say, we do not relax while we are in the pool with them but, the joy we see on their faces and watching them have so much fun is worth it all.
I am down to my last two hours of peace and quiet before the summer chaos begins. I am looking forward to no alarm clock and no deadlines to meet. I am looking forward to the memories that will be made on this last summer before our first-born graduates high school. There will be many days that I will want to pull my hair out, I won't feel adored and will most certainly feel like the worst mother in the world. Yet, I am going to enjoy it all. I hope my children know that they are loved and adored and when they are all grown up they know I did the best job I could.
Happy Summer!

You are a fabulous mother and a wonderful friend. I hope you summer is so much fun, and I hope we can get our girls together! xxoo
ReplyDelete